Moving out of your state permanently, either for work or other reasons can be interesting. But while the prospect of starting life afresh and exploring new terrains can be exciting, moving your valuables and other household belongings can be a nerve racking thought. If you have had an earlier experience, that could make the task relatively easy, because you already know the basics.
Before embarking an interstate relocation, you can buy plenty of peace of mind by considering the following aspects.
Quarantine restrictions on interstate movement
The first task before considering an interstate movement is to understand quarantine restrictions that apply to the state to which you are moving. A Certain type of animals and plants may be affected by these restrictions. Remember that many people have got into avoidable inconveniences because these restrictions applicable to the state from where you are moving out and the state into which you are moving in were not factored. You can learn more by visiting the Australian Government’s Quarantine (domestic) website or speak to a professional interstate removalist(https://www.metromovers.com.au/removalists/interstate-moving/).
Distance adds additional risk
In many situations, moving from one state to another involves considerable distance. This brings an added risk to your valuables that need transportation. Protecting them from potential damages with proper packing, therefore, becomes vital. You can rely on the experience and expertise of professionals in handling this because they have handled several thousand movements and know what is best suited for carrying your belongings over long distances. Transit protection insurance is also recommended, and in some instances, your professional removalist may include this in their quote.
Factoring in unexpected bottlenecks
Opposed to short distance movements within the state, interstate movements can be hindered by several factors affecting the time consumed and the process of transit. This may not happen too often, but we cannot control weather problems, restrictions on driver’s logbook, road closures, vehicle breakdown, etc. Even when you choose one of the best removalists, these problems, when they do happen, may be beyond anyone’s control. Therefore, factoring inadequate time is a good idea to overcome the challenges.
Most service providers may agree on a particular date for delivering your belongings at the destination when adequate time is provided. Remember, however, that this could involve unloading the truck at the destination at a warehouse and then moving your belongings using a local truck when you are ready to receive them.
Importance of constant communication
When you plan an interstate movement, it is important that you keep your communication lines open at all times. Your service providers will update you at regular intervals on the status of interstate move that you have entrusted to them. This way, you will also have adequate knowledge of any bottlenecks en-route and when your belongings are likely to arrive at the destination. The following measures will further strengthen the communication lines for you:-
- Make sure that your mobile phone is always charged and switched on (do not activate the silent mode) all through the process of moving from one end to the other
- Provide alternate contact numbers to the service provider, as an abundant measure of precaution
- Provide other contact information like WhatsApp, chat, and email so that the vendor can still reach you if other communication systems fail.
Other aspects to focus on
- Ensure that all packages have appropriate handling instructions and labels apparently pasted outside the package. Putting these instructions in a polyethene cover and stitching them securely to the package will ensure that they remain intact till unpacked.
- Number the packages and keep a list of contents for each package
- Ask for tracking details from the service provider so that you can know the exact status of your belongings while in transit.
- Keep the customer service contact information of the service provider handy at all times.
- Choose a reputed interstate removal service so that you have complete peace of mind throughout the process of movement and delivery at the destination.
Avoid common mistakes
Some of the common mistakes that people tend to make while moving home can be avoided when you hire a professional service provider. These could include:-
- Deciding to over stuff your car with items like television, computers, laptop and other delicate electronic goods. Remember, when you are moving interstate, you will be spending a fair bit of time on the road, and a heavily stuffed car can impact your comfort levels which are crucial. Professionals have the ability to offer specialised packaging for this type of belongings and allow you the freedom of driving down with only bare essentials for the journey.
- Should you drive the car down or use a truck instead
The distance involved will primarily answer this question. If the drive involves anything more than 5 hours, you are better off getting your car moved through a truck and taking a flight to your destination.
- Temporary accommodation at the destination: Even when everything is working to clockwork precision, establishing your new home at a different location takes a while. It is an excellent idea to have an alternate accommodation or a hotel accommodation for a couple of days till everything gets settled and you can commence your life at the new city.
Most service providers include unpacking and re-arranging your household at the destination. But, you cannot leave this to a surmise and ensure that your contract clearly includes this task. If packing is an overwhelming task, unpacking and putting stuff back in their respective places is even more challenging. Therefore, when known help is available at the destination, it takes a huge load off your mind.
Moving interstate can be fun and enjoyable when you embark on the task with adequate knowledge of all aspects that impact the process. Choosing the best service provider is pretty easy when you spend some quality time scouring the internet. Or, your friends/relatives can recommend a service that they have already used.